Redwoods Riding Centre offers out rides/trails, tuition, and more. Please see all the details below. –
Horse riding trails/out rides
Our out rides are very popular with visitors to the area, whether you can ride or are just looking to try something new. We offer just the out ride, or a fantastic champagne breakfast trail experience.
Here’s the down low –
What to wear
We require guests to wear sepcific outdoo activity wear for safety and comfort. Please wear the following:
- long, fitted pants and closed shoes, preferably with a heel, for your safety and comfort.
- a long-sleeved top or put on lots of sunscreen as one does get burned on the ride if you don’t put it on! –
- very small hand bags like ‘moon bags’ and small cameras are permitted on the ride, larger hand bags and backpacks must be left in our club house or in your car.
- we will provide safety helmets.
Please note that we currently do not have horses available to carry persons of more than 90 kg in weight, so please book accordingly.
Our rides are usually about an hour, hour and a half depending on how guests are enjoying themselves.
We usually leave on the rides by 8:30am in summer, 9am in winter, to fit in
with weather and our stable schedule. We ask that you arrive at least 20
minutes before the ride departure time in order to fit helmets, sign forms etc.
It takes 20 minutes driving at a moderate pace to reach Redwoods from
Ballito, about 40 minutes from Umhlanga and an hour from Durban.
The cost of the normal trail ride is R400 per person (2021-2022).
*- High season trail rates – R500 per person (Includes Easter, July/August school hols and December/January school hols and all public hols. Redwoods reserves the right to adjust fees as necessary according to seasonal demands. Verbal quotes from Redwoods staff stand as valid).
Champagne breakfast trail ride option
As for the breakfast side of things, we usually offer a couple of options: A bohemian-type picnic on a beautiful Persian rug or a table set up in our magnificent garden or by the nearby dam. We use timeless silver cutlery and accessories. We usually offer a choice of a hot or continental breakfast.
- Hot: starter of yogurt and fruit, then main of bacon, egg, toast and jam on the side, mushrooms and tomato.
- Continental: starter of yogurt and fruit. Fresh, warm croissants with a choice of cold meats and cheese, strawberry jam and whipped cream. We usually put some extra nibbles like grapes and muffins alongside both, and of course your Champagne and orange juice.
For a little extra (retail cost dependent), we can also throw in a bouquet of flowers or some extras.
The cost of the Champagne breakfast picnic ride starts at R800 per person, *R850 per person in high season (depending on any customised requirements).
Booking and payment
- You need to book your trail at least 24 hours in advance to secure your booking, depending on availability.
- We accept 50% non-refundable deposit to secure your booking.
- Full payment can be made by EFT or normal banking deposit ahead of your ride, or in cash on the day. We do not have card machine facilities.
- We will send WhatsApp pin location and directions to you upon confirmation of booking.
- Contact us for banking details.
Redwoods offers a few horse riding lesson options. We do have a focus on flat work and dressage, this being our métier, yet we do offer basic show jumping training as well.
We offer morning and afternoon lessons on weekdays, from about 2pm, mainly for children and young adults. We have morning slots available for adults, especially the Wednesday morning 9am group class. Enquire for further availability.
Lesson costs (2021)
Hour private lesson – R350
Half hour private lesson – R260
Hour semi private lesson (two riders) – R300
Hour group lesson – R 250
Redwoods also offers stabling to horse owners on a limited basis.
The costs is R 4500 per horse or pony per month. Please get in touch with us to talk about what is included and what your individual requirements are.
Redwoods has some stunning horses available for lease. All leases excluse lessons, though you are welcome to book classes with our in-house instructors.
Quarter lease (up to two days per week) – R2000 per month.
Half lease (up to 3 days per week) – R 2500 per month.
Full lease (5/6 day, horse as your own) – R 4000 per month.
*Please contact us for more info on horses available for lease and detailed lease structure.
We are available to offer children’s parties depending on availability of horses. Rates for kid’s parties start at R 150 per child for a two-hour slot, depending on number of children and requirments. Party fees includes use of Redwoods stable yard ablution and picnic facilities, pony rides, and staff assistance.
Give us a shout for further details.
Please visit (and like/follow!) our social media pages –
You can also give us a shout on 083 301 5532 (call or WhatsApp) for any further information.